When you stop drinking and using, all of a sudden you may be overwhelmed with a sudden increase in free time. Boredom is often sighted as a reason for relapse, so here is a list of 50 things to do instead of picking up a drink or a drug:
1) Go for a hike.
3) Plant a garden.
4) Turn on the music in your living room and dance.
5) Go to a café, grab a coffee and people watch.
6) Write in a journal.
8) Go for a walk with a friend.
9) Call someone in your family and catch up.
10) Take a fitness class.
11) Do yoga.
12) Watch a movie.
13) Go window shopping.
15) Go to a meeting.
16) Reorganize your closet.
17) Go through old photos and make a collage of you from your younger days.
18) Try out a new recipe.
19) Go ice skating.
20) Sign up for a class at your local community college or continuing education center.
21) Tutor a child.
22) Grab lunch with a friend you haven’t seen in awhile.
23) Go to a meeting.
24) Clean your room/apartment/house.
25) Go to the beach.
26) Plan your dream vacation.
27) Make a list of places you want to visit.
28) Plant a garden.
29) Play with a pet. If you don’t have a pet, visit the local animal shelter and spend some time with the animals there.
30) Make cookies for a neighbor.
31) Go bowling.
32) Learn a musical instrument.
34) Take an art class.
35) Have a board game night with your friends.
36) Go for a quick walk outside.
37) Write a thank you card.
38) Read poetry.
39) Brew your own coffee.
40) Shop online.
41) Take a bubble bath.
42) Go to the library.
43) Spend an afternoon at the bookstore.
44) Get a massage.
45) Jump on a trampoline.
46) Take an afternoon nap.
47) Do step work.
48) Play cards.
49) Start a blog.
50) Say a prayer.